St Peter Wooton Wawen



Wooton Wawen-5983-1

A thousand years or more of English architecture and Christian witness can viewed in this extraordinary church, probably the oldest in the county. Observing the exterior from the south there is what looks like a red roofed tithe barn attached to the south east corner, which is the Lady Chapel. The tower, nave and south aisle appear to be 13&14th century perpendicular gothic. Closer examination particularly the interior, will reveal elements of earlier Saxon and Norman building work including a blocked door on the west wall. Exposed stone work of the crossing tower is Anglo Saxon or according to Pesvener Anglo Danish. Margaret Traherne’s 20th century modern stained glass window can be seen in the inset into the north wall (1958).

It is the contents of the church which add interest, these include chained library (1642), a superb oak 15th Century Oak pulpit, wonderful altar tomb to Francis Smith depicting a bearded Knight (1605) and a 13th Century banded oak parish chest.

This is a without doubt ‘must see’ church for anybody looking at Warwickshire Churches

St Peter’s church website

Wooton Wawen-6001-8
Nave of Church showing 14C door way above the Chancel and the rounder Saxon window on the left

Wooton Wawen-6007-9
Fine 15th Century parclose screen

Wooton Wawen-5985-2 copy
Effigy of Francis Smith lies awkwardly recumbent.

Wooton Wawen-5990-4
Medieval knight - John Harewell in a more restful pose

Wooton Wawen-5997-6
detail from 13th Century oak Parish Chest with metal bands.

All Saints, Honington

All Saints Honington

This is a church with an interesting history. The square west tower is constructed in a limestone ashlar dated to around 1275 - 1300. The rest of the church is built in a classical style to resemble a London church of the 17
th century (circa 1680). It was built the same time as the large country house of Honington Hall which it adjoins. The painted interior has several interesting monuments including a double statue to Sir Henry and his son 1713. On the South wall there are more memorials one includes a cartouche with a baby with an elongated head and a skull dedicated to Townsend family.

More detail on the architecture can be found
here

Honnington-5304-1 copy

The exterior showing early 13Century tower combining with 17th & 18th Century styles of the rest of the church

Honington-8103-4

Painted Interior with fine box pews


Honington-8105-1
Parker Memorials at back of the church

Honington146

The unusual Townsend Memorial