St Peter Wooton Wawen



Wooton Wawen-5983-1

A thousand years or more of English architecture and Christian witness can viewed in this extraordinary church, probably the oldest in the county. Observing the exterior from the south there is what looks like a red roofed tithe barn attached to the south east corner, which is the Lady Chapel. The tower, nave and south aisle appear to be 13&14th century perpendicular gothic. Closer examination particularly the interior, will reveal elements of earlier Saxon and Norman building work including a blocked door on the west wall. Exposed stone work of the crossing tower is Anglo Saxon or according to Pesvener Anglo Danish. Margaret Traherne’s 20th century modern stained glass window can be seen in the inset into the north wall (1958).

It is the contents of the church which add interest, these include chained library (1642), a superb oak 15th Century Oak pulpit, wonderful altar tomb to Francis Smith depicting a bearded Knight (1605) and a 13th Century banded oak parish chest.

This is a without doubt ‘must see’ church for anybody looking at Warwickshire Churches

St Peter’s church website

Wooton Wawen-6001-8
Nave of Church showing 14C door way above the Chancel and the rounder Saxon window on the left

Wooton Wawen-6007-9
Fine 15th Century parclose screen

Wooton Wawen-5985-2 copy
Effigy of Francis Smith lies awkwardly recumbent.

Wooton Wawen-5990-4
Medieval knight - John Harewell in a more restful pose

Wooton Wawen-5997-6
detail from 13th Century oak Parish Chest with metal bands.